This is a typical Greek recipe that you can alter to make with your favorite vegetables. It is light but filling, and easy to make.
2 lbs. ground beef (or other ground meat)
1 med. onion, chopped
1/3 + 1/4 cup olive oil
6 small white potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 med. eggplant, sliced
1 extra large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. granulated garlic
1⁄2 tsp. chicken bouillon powder
2 tbsp. water
3⁄4 tbsp. dried parsley
1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese, e.g, cheddar or mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Preheat 1/3 cup olive oil in a frying pan. Add onions, and cook until golden brown.
3. Add meat and cook until done.
4. Add 3⁄4 tsp. black pepper, 3⁄4 tsp salt, and garlic to meat mixture. Vombine well. Set aside.
5. In a 9×13 baking dish, layer half the sliced white potatoes along the bottom, add a layer of half the eggplant, and a layer of half the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle 1⁄2 tsp. salt between the vegetable layers.
6. Add all the meat on top of the sweet potatoes.
7. On top of the meat, layer the remaining eggplant, sweet potatoes, and white potatoes, followed by all the zucchini.
8. Combine 1⁄4 cup olive oil, chicken bouillon powder, and water. Mix well and pour over zucchini.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
10. About 5 minutes before the dish is done baking, combine 4 eggs with parsley, 1⁄4 tsp. salt, and 1⁄4 tsp. pepper.
11. When potatoes are soft, remove dish from oven. Uncover and add egg mixture and top with cheese (optional).
12. Bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
13. For best consistency, allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.